Thursday, April 30, 2009

A Miracle! not by IVF but by the Lord alone













Well just when we thought we had exhausted all human efforts and possibilities to try to have a baby, the Lord surprised us by miraculously implanting Life in my womb. Yes, the IVF failed. We heard the sad news March 13, 2009. March 14 after making a praise CD to the Lord, claiming His power and acknowledging that he is the creator of all life ( song, Ana Laura), I came down with a terrible stomach virus that left me in bed for days, and Matt had to leave for an intensive course at Liberty University where he is enrolled in Grad school. I laid in bed asking God again and again to comfort me, and to reveal to us His will and plan. Claiming his words in Romans 8 and Hebrews 11, I determined to get over the bug and to go on living my life praising Him. Matt called me and we discussed Romans 8; I was looking at verses 28-29 but the Lord brought to him verses 24-27. "A hope that is seen is not hope; for who hopes for what he already sees? but if we hope for what we do not see, with perseverance we wait eagerly for it..."
We agreed to continue to trust in the Lord and then met with the IVF team, who said to take time off and try again in late May or June. We went on a Sunday School weekend away, went on with our lives.
April began and we were looking forward to moving toward the next cycle.
And a quiet voice inside me said the Lord would reveal his glory. I did not know what it meant, but had a surge of hope that began back when I had the flu.
April 19, 2009 I awoke in the night knowing I had to take a pregnancy test when I got up in the morning. Part of me, the doubting Thomas, said not to waste the money. We had taken them so many times, sometimes several in a few days time, to no avail.
Ah, but when I awoke, I knew...
Matt was already dressed and working in his office when he heard the screams. He came running. I thrust the test into his hands, the clear digital word reading "pregnant".
He stared. We both were in shock! Smiling broadly, he said, "But it is time for Sunday School so let's keep a lid on this until we talk to the Doctor."
At church I tried to keep the silly grin off my face. I tried to turn to the passages we were studying, but the Lord caused my eyes to fall on a preceding passage: Isaiah 42:8 "I am the Lord, that is my name; I will not give my glory to another..."
I turned the page moving closer to what we were supposed to be studying, and my eyes fell on more passages in Isaiah. I felt like smiling from ear to ear.
We confirmed the pregnancy that week with two different blood tests. The nurse who called to tell me the results said, "How did that happen?!" and gave us a due date. This seems so real.
Nervously we proceed day to day, hoping not to lose what we have waited so long for. We know God has a plan and will see it through ... even if it is to bring glory to his name by way of things we cannot understand.

1 comment:

  1. Our God is so good and your testimony is amazing! Love you both! Jen

    ReplyDelete