Thursday, December 16, 2010

Hard Lessons after Her Death

There are things you never do, that you later think should have been done.
I have not said things I wish I had said.

I think a lot these days, but don't know where to put my thoughts. Focused on making the life I expose Samuel & Oliver to a positive one, I am thinking about what I will do with the lessons learned.

When someone gives me a gift I will tell them how much it means. As time goes by and I look at the gift and think to myself, "They really captured me, that is a perfect gift," I will make a point of writing a note or making a call that very day.

When something is amiss between myself and someone dear, I will ask what I can do to make amends. Making a call or talking to someone about general things, however nice a conversation, doesn't answer the questions. Later, when you are alone, and you ask these things to yourself, all the answers come flooding in like the belly of the titanic. Suddenly the "wouldacouldashouldas" are endless possibilities. It hurts because it's too late.

.....
Ok this is when you know we serve a living God.... it's called a God Moment.
So I'm sitting hear Hammering it out (those of you who have heard me type know I pound the keys) and tears were welling up (babies nap) and I felt pretty sad. I had just written "...too late..."
The phone rang. I stared at the desk phone and the number was vaguely familiar but I didn't place it as I picked up.
And it was this wonderful friend from 1987 who 'found me' last year (fb). We have had several correspondences and this time she was calling specifically to lift me up. Her words and encouragement were so spot-on (her mom passed away years ago), and I felt so lifted and ministered to. As I close this I just think that we should do just that- not let a nudge from the Lord pass by. I wrote that on fb a few months back- if we did more personal contact and less wall posting then we would live with less regrets and experience more moments that feel so spectacular it is impossible to be sad.
Thank you Lord for telephone calls and bringing together people who have the right words, similar experiences, and lift us up.

No comments:

Post a Comment